Below I’m attaching an essay I wrote that fleshes out the 6 points I made very briefly in the speaking engagement about the need for a grassroots peace movement to abolish nuclear weapons:
- The U.S. has been provoking nuclear weapons since 1945.
- Nuclear weapons exist in the overall context of U.S. foreign policy.
We must de-militarize our foreign policy overall as well as abolish nuclear weapons.
- The problems came from the top down, so solutions must come from the bottom up. Only a nonviolent GRASSROOTS MOVEMENT can change our foreign policy
and abolish nuclear weapons.
- We must change public policies in several ways.
- We can apply economic pressures in several ways.
- I end with some closing encouragement.
HERE IS THE ESSAY I WROTE:
Nuclear Weapons and the Peace Movement