This came from www.hightowerlowdown.org in relation to the leak of the U.S. Supreme Court’s upcoming decision overturning the past half century of women’s right to choose abortion:
With the leak of a draft Supreme Court ruling overturning Roe v. Wade, the right-wing takeover of the Court has now smacked us in the face. Meanwhile, Hightower has for many years preached about the particularly un-democratic nature of the Court – an unelected body of nine sitting in judgment for 340 million — and we thought we’d share some of our “greatest hits” on how we got here.
Brush up on your Supreme knowledge here:
- The March/April 2022 issue of the Hightower Lowdown covers how a 1971 memo by conservative Lewis Powell kicked off five decades of a right-wing conspiracy to take over the court. (Next month’s will focus on the dark money funding this whole operation.)
- Our recent Chat & Chew Happy Hour with dark money legal expert Lisa Graves is not to be missed. Lisa is so passionate about this work, that when she got stuck on the road the day of the show, she videoed in from her pick-up!
- Some more historical context can help ground you in the fight– this is a long haul battle, and we’ve got to educate each other.
- Start with how a clerical error made corporations people (April 2003);
- Go into the Citizens United ruling that created dark money (March 2010);
- Read up on four corporate hits of the Roberts court (February 2011);
- And dive into the slap-in-the-face-to-Lady-Justice that is Justice Brett Kavanaugh (November 2018).
- And, if you’re short on time, these 2-minute podcast episodes from 2021 sum things up neatly:
And if you’re looking to support organizations still fighting like hell to keep abortion legal and safe, we recommend getting in touch with the National Network of Abortion Funds. They can direct you to organizations near you who need your help. There’s still a chance to sway the final ruling — and to pass federal legislation that will affirm that every woman has a right to choose.
We’ll see you out there on the battlefield. Keep agitating!