Do you remember the decades-old saying, “Garbage in — Garbage out”? It referred to the problems with computer systems that receive inputs that are not accurate and — as a result — produce inaccurate outputs.
The remedy, of course, is to make sure we have valid, accurate inputs in order to produce good results.
Nowadays, the Trump/Republican federal government and many state governments are stuffed with climate deniers, dogmatic religious extremists, and other people who are subservient to special interests. Instead of open-mindedly and honestly trying to solve problems, they exploit governments in order to distort public policies for corrupt and ideological purposes in order to serve their private interests and biases instead of doing what is best for the broad public interests of society as a whole.
- Some years ago Congress passed a law that ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITED the federal government’s Centers for Disease Control from even studying the health effects of gun violence.
- Recently — under the Trump regime — federal agencies’ websites have been deleting information about climate science and some other issues.
- Now Trump wants to cut programs in NOAA and NASA in the FY ’19 budget that prepare our community for extreme weather events and floods. After Trump and the Republicans have seriously worsened the climate crisis, Trump now wants to prevent us from dealing with the damage!
- Research has been showing that the “War on Drugs” approach is an utter failure, and “harm reduction” strategies, legalization, and other innovations actually work, but the Trump regime (including his Attorney General Jeff Sessions) have been ignoring honest science and have been pushing hard to escalate the failed “War on Drugs” approach.
- Many other examples exist to show the utter stupidity and horrible results when HONEST SCIENCE is ignored and DELIBERATE IGNORANCE is imposed upon public policy.
More than ever, we urgently, desperately need HONEST SCIENCE so we can solve society’s problems.
In April 2018 EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt escalated his war on science. The article at THIS LINK shows how he wants to interfere with honest science: https://www.ecowatch.com/pruitt-epa-science-2563190216.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=904f0113c6-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-904f0113c6-85369701
In early May 2018 a petition to EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt urged him to stop his war on science. CLICK THIS LINK: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/pruitt-data?source=newsletter&t=9&akid=28421%2E8825164%2EvO_Lu7
We all need inspirations and role models who stand up to protect science. A recent article on Common Dreams highlights one American scientist who is returning to the U.S. in order to protect science from Trumpism, and she is supporting other scientists who also are standing up. CLICK THIS LINK: https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018/04/23/im-expat-us-scientist-and-im-returning-trumps-america-stand-science?utm_term=I%5Cu2019m%20an%20Expat%20US%20Scientist%20%5Cu2013%20and%20I%5Cu2019m%20Returning%20to%20Trump%5Cu2019s%20America%20to%20Stand%20up%20For%20Science&utm_campaign=News%20%2526%20Views%20%7C%20Sanders%27%20Plan%20to%20Guarantee%20Every%20American%20a%20Job&utm_content=email&utm_source=Act-On+Software&utm_medium=email&cm_mmc=Act-On%20Software-_-email-_-News%20%2526%20Views%20%7C%20Sanders%27%20Plan%20to%20Guarantee%20Every%20American%20a%20Job-_-I%5Cu2019m%20an%20Expat%20US%20Scientist%20%5Cu2013%20and%20I%5Cu2019m%20Returning%20to%20Trump%5Cu2019s%20America%20to%20Stand%20up%20For%20Science